Marketing like Madonna
My wife finally got her Madonna’s Confessions Tour DVD plus CD thru eBay and we watched it today. I’m not exactly a big fan of Madonna but after watching her prancing for 2 hours on stage with spectacular showmanship, I finally understood why someone would pay as much as USD 400 to watch her show and why she’s the 2nd biggest earner after Oprah in 2008. These are the marketing lessons I learned;
- Either make your product/campaign/service remarkable or don’t bother to do it at all.
- Never go for second best or mediocre results when it comes to building a product/campaign/service. There’s a part where Madonna was rehearsing with her team and there’s only room for the best ideas, etc, nothing else.
- People are willing to pay for remarkable products. People pay USD 400 to see Madonna because they know her show is simply remarkable.
- Don’t follow trends. Create your own.
- Spread your idea via a message that everybody can relate to. And layered it well so that it doesn’t sound obliging. For example, she was promoting her “Grow Malawi” fund and the way she does it is subtle yet direct enough to deliver the message. And her message: Support my fund because you believe as much as I believe in the cause.
And lastly, I’ve not seen so much energy and drive in a 50 year old woman. For 2 hours, she captivated her audience and in the process, made her fans happy and turn people like me into her fan. I confessed, Madonna is remarkable.
Have you confessed yet?